Sunday 15 March 2009

"Thanks, thanks a lot"



Probably missing the boat on this one by about 30 days but I'll paddle along anyway. The video above is of Joaquin Phoenix appearing on The Late Show with David Letterman last month. The painfully funny and curt interview generated quite the stir at the time - even prompting this dire little skit by Ben Stiller at the Oscars.

Less unimaginative parodies, however, have been made of the interview Phoenix conducted on the same day with Katey Rich of
Cinemablend.com. In it he speaks candidly (and more importantly clearly) about his move to hip hop and his dissaffection with acting.

There something about Phoenix that makes him such an endearingly tragic character, despite the media's (I say the media's, I of course mean EVERYONES) incredulous speculation over his new vocation he seems completely earnest about it, even slightly losing his temper with the interviewer for second guessing him.

Maybe it's his involvement with The Children of God or the death of his brother, but even generic I'm-a-celebrity-get-me-out-of-here comments such as:

"In some ways I wish that I wasn't a public figure, I wish that I didn't have expectations"

Just completely slay me every time. Heartbreaking stuff.

Click here for interview in full