Monday, 27 July 2009

Washed Out


Sleep Deprivation can throw up some odd if unmemorable experiances - fortunatly my most recent bout with it has led to my introduction to Washed Out the musical persona of South Carolina native Ernest Weatherly Greene - whose bedroom excursions and online foraging has produced some of 2009's lushest somnambulisitic synthpop gems. Interview here.


-Is your name actually Ernest Weatherly Greene? If so then that's amazing

Yep... Ernest Weatherly Greene, Jr...

-As a person do you feel 'washed out'?

Can't say that I do...I'm too young to be washed out, right!?!

-Your music has been hyped by some respectable sources: gorilla vs bear, pitchfork to name a couple - do things like that mean much to you? Does it matter how many and how much people listen to your music?

I guess more than anything it gives me confidence to put things out there... In the past, I've been hyper-critical about releasing stuff-even with family and friends... so I guess it makes it a little easier...

It also makes it easier to ‘properly’ release something...currently, there is no way that I could afford to self-release, but I'm hoping to settle with a label in the next couple of weeks...so we'll see...

-Not sure if you're familiar with it - but the start of your song 'Feel It All Around' sounds a bit like the intro to I Want You by Gary Low - do you like italo disco?

Good call! Yeah, I love italo... I have a friend who really knows his stuff, so he turns me on to some good jams... I also scour the internet for gems...

-What do you use to create music?

I have a simple set-up in my bedroom with a few mics...I use Reason 4.0/Cubase SE to record, arrange and sequence everything... That's pretty much it besides a guitar and midi keyboard to play synths/trigger samples...


-Your songs are all pretty gorgeous and dreamy - do you have to be in a specific state of mind to write them?

Not really... I pretty much zone-out while recording, so it is all very natural...I've found that I work best when I have no distractions, so I'll basically just lock myself in my room while working on a track :)

-In terms of influences, what inspires you that may not be that obvious to listeners?

I pretty much have two different types of ‘listening styles’... I have the stuff that I really love that I will listen to over and over... and then I'll also listen to some pretty far-out/cheesy stuff just for inspiration or for sampling purposes... I can find something to love about pretty much any song (whether it be the production or the songwriting or even a two-second synth line...), so I can really annoy my girlfriend by listening to 80's r&b on the radio 24/7...

That being said, I really don't have that many dance songs that fit in that 'love' category... at the moment it’s basically lofi GvB type stuff or guys like Bullion and Samiyam...

-I had to Google South Carolina to just find out where abouts it was in America - what's it like to live in?

It's not bad... I used to live in Columbia (I currently live with my parents in rural Georgia)... which is a mid-sized college town...

There is a nice river that runs through the middle of town which is a lot of fun during the summer...the beach is also about an hour away...


-This isn’t a proper question by the way, but just out of curiosity is this shirt (above) from American Apparel?
Yes it is...Sadly, it is at the bottom of a huge lake in rural Georgia...Lost it during a recent trip :(

-What do you plan to do for the rest of the year with WO - do you have any other projects/commitments?

I'm trying to finish up a full-length that will include most of the songs up on my myspace profile as well as a few more I've been writing over the last couple of weeks... I'm currently talking with a few labels about putting it out ASAP...

The most immediate release, though, will be a tape with Mirror Universe... I used to record a lot of hip-hop-ish stuff, so I'm thinking I might incorporate some of it... It will definitely be pretty different than the full-length...

Washed Out can be found at myspace.com/thebabeinthewoods

And if you wanted some free mp3s - you can find them courtesy of No Pain in Pop and Gorilla vs Bear